" There is no love sincerer than the love of food."
- George Bernard Shaw

French Onion Braised Chicken Soup

A few years ago, I sat at home one night with a very distinct problem: my pantry was full but I had nothing to make.

Seriously.

Yea, we could have had lemon chicken or barbeque chicken or ramen or chicken salad or stove-top tuna casserole or maybe even fish, but really? Having the same dish, even with a little variety list, over and over? It gets boring.

So I pretended I was on an episode of Chopped. Or maybe I just decided to play around and experiment; it's been awhile, so I don't really remember. I do know that this turned out to be a nice little hit and, after a few minor tweaks, I have a delicious recipe to fall back on when the meals get to be too predictable and bland.



4 - 5 Pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Pepper
Fresh Oregano
Fresh Thyme
Minced Garlic
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1 Packet French Onion Soup Mix
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Bag Craisins

Wild Rice (or Long Grain Rice)
(cooked per directions)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic pepper in the bottom of an 8 x 8 dish. Place chicken breasts atop the seasonings. Sprinkle the French Onion Soup Mix on top of the chicken along with the minced garlic, walnuts, oregano, and thyme. Gently pour chicken broth into pan. Top with a few hand fulls of Craisins (quantity depends on your taste. Craisins will reconstitute during cooking, so be careful!).

Braise for 35 to 40 minutes.

Put rice into bowl. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and put on top of rice. Ladle desired amount of soup into bowl with rice and chicken.

Makes:
About 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment